Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Measuring Sticks

How do you measure success? It probably depends on the vocation.

I am in the process of leaving a job where "success" was attained if you lasted longer than your predecessor. This is not a good measuring stick, no better than someone saying they hope their new marriage lasts longer than their last one.

I am grateful that I don't have to measure "success" in my faith. I don't check whether I gave enough in the offering plate, whether I serve on enough committees, or whether I checked off the box that says I read my devotion for the day. I don't notch my Bible (or click on websites) - like some people notch their bedpost - when I'm "touching" people.

Eeew, I said "touch".

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that He paid the price once and for all - for me, of all people. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

4 comments:

Marie N. said...

"...touch me Baby
Tainted Love
ooooh oh ooh..."

Did I make you laugh?

Rick said...

Yeeeeeeeeesssssss Dearrrrrrr.

LOL, at my cube with no one around to hear it. :-)

Rick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barb the Evil Genius said...

Here I thought there were these comments praising your excellent post and it's just you two joking around! :) You know, sometime when we're at the same event, we'll have to play this game, I forget what it's called, but there's two teams. You get a word, and the teams go back and forth coming up with a phrase or stanza or whatever out of a song (and singing it!) that has that word in it. Last team "standing" gets to advance on the gameboard. I wanna be on the Quipper's team. :)

Oh, by the way, excellent post!