Note: For various reasons, I have chosen to no longer participate in the experiment explained below. Out of respect for the co-sponsors of the experiment, I am keeping the content of this post as is.
We'd like your participation, if you are willing:
Remember Horton Hears a Who? All the Who's make a noise at the same time, and even though they are small they get heard?
A number of us bloggers want to try an experiment. We want to gather 30,000 bloggers together to shout all at once, and see how loudly we get heard. Why 30,000? Because that is the number of people originally represented by 1 congressional district in the United States. It is a small number when you think of it, but it can have a huge voice.
Here's how it works:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Yop!
- In the body of the email list the name of your weblog, and the URL.
- Your weblog will be added to the list of participating weblogs.
- Tell your friends who blog about it, and urge them to send in their weblog as well.
- When the list reaches 30,000, a date and a word will be listed on the page. On that date, every weblog on the list agrees to make a single post with the word as the title. The content of the post should be about what you want for the world, whatever that may be. The purpose is not to make a particular political statement, but simply to make a noise. If 30,000 weblogs all post the same unusual word, it WILL be heard.
Some of you might be asking, "What if you don't get 30,000 participants?" That's a great question. My perspective is that it proves how difficult it is to communicate with 30,000 people, let alone 570,000 people, which is approximately how many people a congressman represents today. (Yikes! No wonder we don't get heard!)
So, we either prove that 30,000 WILL be heard, or that it's difficult enough to communicate with 30,000 people, which is 19x less than today's congressman needs to communicate with.
And, finally, here's the fine print:
- Please don't use e-mail to spam people about this; we want this done through the blogosphere by people who want to participate. Feel free to post on it (you can pilfer my text if you'd like), link to this post in your blog, or refer others to this post when you comment on other people's blogs.
- E-mails sent to the address above will be deleted after being added to the list. The e-mails will neither be collected nor responded to.