Thursday, September 06, 2007

Definition Warp B

Word: go-getter

Definition: an enterprising, aggressive person (dictionary.com)

Warp: specifically, a person who gets results by cajoling, bruising egos, and throwing away common courtesies. To apologize would be a sign of failure. To give someone else credit would risk their own promotion. To be kind would risk looking weak.

Example: an aggressive person cannot get along with anyone, yet because this person gets results, he is noticed and respected by top tier management. He is the proverbial bull in a china shop on every project where he is involved, but management does not see his messes. On the other hand, a highly productive employee, who works on the same projects and makes everyone else on the team more effective, is ignored because he works quietly, courteously, and effectively. He cleans up the "go-getter's" messes, but doesn't look for accolades.

The term "go-getter" used to have a positive connotation to me, describing anyone who could get the job done and look forward to the next challenge. Now, I see it used as a politically correct term to describe a person who gets things done, but leaves a bunch of dead bodies in their wake.

2 comments:

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Been there, done that...the receiving end that is. I've had my fair share of experiences with the "go-getter" types - the egos, the tantrums, the "B" on wheels, the "all about me" people. They crave the spotlight and they'll do anything to get it.

My momma taught me, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" and I've tried to live my life that way. I also like what Ronald Reagan said once, "There's no end to what you can achieve if you don't care who gets the credit."

Rick said...

DMG: I was on the giving end early in my career. I made a number of dumb mistakes, and learned my lesson. I still make mistakes, but I have gotten much better.

I like the Ronald Reagan quote.