Thursday, January 25, 2007

Idol Chatter

I can't believe I am saying this, but I'm saying this...

I think the American Idol audition shows ought to be mandatory viewing for all parents, and their pre-teen and teenaged children.

Quick, what's the phone number for the loony bin? He's gone insane!

Whoah, put away the strait jacket, and hear me out for a minute.


Forget the singing. Forget the judges. Forget the commercials for Coke, Ford and hair products.

Watch the kids. (I'm a 38-yo, so I can call them all "kids".) Watch what they wear. Watch what they say. Watch how they prepare themselves - or don't - for a two-minute audition with three people who have successfully been around the block several times in varying parts of the music industry.

Watch how they position themselves.

Are they smart? Are they proud? Are they looking for sympathy? Are they out for thirty seconds of fame? Do they think a gimmick of style will overcome their lack of singing substance?

Do they have too high an opinion of themselves? Do they no self-image at all? Do they use God as an excuse for their being at the auditon?

Are they misplaced? In the right place? To be put in their place?

Where else can you see such an unadulterated view of America and where it's going than on this show? You have people from all races and colors, likely from all sexual orientations, and maybe even from all creeds, although I'll surmise that practicing Muslims don't give a rip.

On last night's show, I watched a girl make it through to the next round. She had formal vocal training, a decent voice, and a decent look. I watched her best friend, pretty but plain, with no vocal training and no confidence, outperform her.

I watched people live up to the stereotypes that others would have of them. I watched others obliterate those same stereotypes.

I watched people who looked like they'd never heard a compliment in their life. I watched others who looked like they'd never heard a reprimand in their life - handed everything on a silver platter, always told they were "the best", and that their singing was great - sound worse than a tone-deaf dog, be told so, and not know how to handle it.

I watched people who were prim and proper when they had to impress, then let their true colors show in front of the judges after they were rejected.

Whether or not you like the concept of the show, the judges, or the singing, the audition shows give lots of discussion opportunities with kids. It gives you a chance to indicate what is important to you, and learn what's important to your kids, all through someone else's experiences.

And, yes, you can even comment on Simon Cowell's critiques, if you must. :-)

2 comments:

Marie N. said...

Remember the girl who called her style of dress classy and conservative -- she kept falling out of the V neck dress cut nearly to her navel--Tee hee :-) I wonder how one has to dress for that girl to think one is a sleeze or hootchie-mama!!!

Anonymous said...

Great post.
I think my kids have seen a lot on the audition segments about whiners and those with an entitlement mentality. But there are also those with decency and confidence (as opposed to arrogance).