Monday, February 04, 2008

That's Entertainment!

After not paying attention to the Super Bowl hype, I got home from band practice just in time to sit in front of the tube with the whole family and watch "the big event". The Engineer, front-runner that he is, was rooting for the Patriots. The Artist didn't really care about the game; she was rooting for the commercials. Marie was doing the same, conducting research for the next day's post.

In a post I submitted a couple weeks ago, I said I didn't care who won. As the game went on, though, I found myself slowly getting excited about the opportunity for...for...for...

AN UPSET!

As the Giants hung on via their stifling defense, I couldn't help but start rooting for them. After watching them play the Patriots so well during the last week of the season, I thought they had a chance; they wouldn't be blown out, but I didn't know if they could win. But, as they kept thwarting the Patriot's offense, and Eli Manning kept not looking like an idiot (see his last three years to understand this), I grew more excited for the Giants.

Enter the fourth quarter. New England took the lead with less than three minutes left. You could even hear Marie groaning, "Oh no, not the Patriots!" As the Giants took over on offense, I thought, "They have enough time, they don't need to rush." They earned a couple first downs, then got themselves into a third down situation when this happened:



Awesome. The most awesome play I have ever seen in a Super Bowl. Probably the best non-trick play I've ever seen. David Tyree caught the ball with his right hand AND HIS HELMET! Talk about concentration. Talk about strength. Wow!

At that point, I knew they COULD win. Then, with less than 40 seconds left in the game, the Giants scored a touchdown, and stopped the Pats from scoring again. Game, set, match: New York Giants! I actually ended up rooting for a New York team. Imagine that!

All over a game I didn't care about two weeks ago. It was the best Super Bowl I have seen in my lifetime, all 39.912328767123288 years of it. I guess I waltzed into the den thinking, as some of my band fans say, "I'm coming to watch you play; DON'T SUCK!" Well, the Giants didn't. Neither did the Pats. The better team, on that day, won the game.

--------------------------------------------------

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played an excellent halftime show yesterday. They sounded great. Looks are a concern, though. I wasn't sure if I was watching Tom Petty



Or Red Green


Maybe they are related.

--------------------------------------------------

And finally, here are the songs Running in Circles chose to learn. Or, will at least attempt at our upcoming practices:

*1. Dirty Little Secret - All American Rejects
2. Over You - Daughtry
*3. Authority Song - John Mellencamp
4. Love Song - Sara Barellies
5. Absolutely (Story Of A Girl) - Nine Days
*6. Anyway You Want It - Journey
*7. Talk Dirty To Me - Posion
8. You And Your Hand - Pink
9. Lovefool - Cardigans
10. Kiss Me - Sixpence None The Richer
*11. Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
12. Who Says You Can't Go Home - Bon Jovi
13. Life Is A Highway - Rascal Flats
14. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
15. Fire - Red Hot Chili Peppers/Jimi Hendrix
16. Give A Little Bit - Goo Goo Dolls / Supertramp
17. Saturday Night Is Alright For Fighting - Elton John

Songs marked with (*) are songs that, for various reasons, I am ready to perform.

Lot of variety, although I think we are becoming more of a family/party band than a bar band. We'll see where that leads us. (p.s. It is not worth watching the RHCP version of Fire. Trust me on this one.)

--------------------------------------------------

So, when's my birthday? Marie, the kids, and anyone with our church's calendar cannot venture a guess. (That includes you, Scott!!!)

1 comment:

Marie N. said...

Those velcro-backed uniforms and magnets in the football and helmets work wonders, eh?

The hardest I laughed Sunday was at Shaq on a racehorse and at your comment that Petty looks like Red Green.